1 progressing melodically by intervals larger than a major second [ant: conjunct]
2 having deep constrictions separating head, thorax, and abdomen, as in insects
3 marked by separation of or from usually contiguous elements; "little isolated worlds, as abruptly disjunct and unexpected as a palm-shaded well in the Sahara"- Scientific Monthly [syn: isolated]
4 used of distributions, as of statistical or natural populations; "disjunct distribution of king crabs"
Noundisjunct (plural disjuncts)
- One of multiple propositions, any of which, if true, confirm the validity of another proposition (a disjunction)
- "Disjunction" in the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
The term disjunct can refer to:
- logical disjunction
- In astrology, the term disjunct, or quincunx is an aspect made when two planets are 150 degrees, or five signs apart. Whenever this aspect appears in a horoscope it requires adjustments to be made to ensure success in the endeavours referred to by the planet, house and sign.
- In biology, a disjunct distribution is one in which two closely related taxa are widely separated geographically.
- In linguistics, a disjunct, according to Oxford Concise Dictionary of Linguistics, is an adverbial, seen as an element belonging to the periphery of its clause and for example, qualifying, commenting on, or giving authority for the remainder. (Matthews, 1997)
- Perhaps he is there.
- Honestly, I can't do it.
- Matthews, P.H.. Oxford Concise Dictionary of Linguistics. New York: Oxford University Press INc., 1997
aimless, alien, alienated, amorphous, apart, capricious, casual, desultory, detached, disarticulated, disconnected, discontinuous, discrete, disengaged, disjoined, disjoint, disjointed, dislocated, disordered, dispersed, disproportionate, disrelated, dissociated, disunited, divided, divorced, erratic, estranged, exotic, extraneous, fitful, foreign, formless, frivolous, gratuitous, haphazard, hit-or-miss, immethodical, inchoate, incoherent, incommensurable, incomparable, independent, indiscriminate, insular, irregular, irrelative, isolated, meaningless, misshapen, nonsymmetrical, nonsystematic, nonuniform, orderless, other, outlandish, planless, promiscuous, random, removed, scattered, segregate, segregated, senseless, separate, separated, sequestered, shapeless, shut off, spasmodic, sporadic, straggling, straggly, strange, systemless, unaffiliated, unallied, unarranged, unassociated, unclassified, unconnected, undirected, ungraded, unjoined, unmethodical, unordered, unorganized, unrelatable, unrelated, unsorted, unsymmetrical, unsystematic, ununiform, vague, wandering